Wednesday, January 9, 2019

Throw Pillows from a Throw Blanket!

One of the easiest and thriftiest ways to update the look of a room is with decorative pillows.
Every one has them. In fact, I dare you to take a count of the throw pillows in your house!!!
I don't just have pillows on the furniture....I have pillows in the closets waiting to take their turn in whatever decor scheme suits my fancy.

 A trip down the pillow aisle of almost any home decor store is pure temptation for me.

A pillow is affordable.....
A pillow is not a forever commitment like a piece of furniture.....


However.....
There is always the dilemma of how many pillows I should have out at one time.

If this is your dilemma too....I did a little internet searching and found these articles to be really helpful.

How Many Throw Pillows Is Too Many?

Pillows 101: How to Choose & Arrange Throw Pillows

Guide to Choosing Throw Pillows 

Now...on to the latest pillow project at Sweetwater.

The rustic, Nordic theme in the living room needed to change once the holidays were over.

Somehow....I never got a picture of the living room decorated for the holidays....go figure.

This is the best shot I could find....but note the red plaid pillow and the Swedish hanging over the couch.













Anyway....the lumbar pillows on the two accent chairs needed to lose the red and beige linen stripe.

When I went to put the old turquoise covers back on the pillows....I realized that they looked pretty shabby!


Goody...a chance to go to the pillow aisle at HomeGoods!


source






There were literally hundreds of pillows to choose from....
There were literally hundreds of pillows that I DID NOT LIKE!








AND THEN......

 I spied this lovely nubby blue and white checked throw.

The price was right at 16.99

The fringe along both sides looked like those fancy fringed pillows that I like so much.












HMMMMMM!!!   This throw could easily become the new pillow covers!

The process was pretty darn simple.

I put the insert on top of the throw to determine the width of the pillow.

It turned out that the throw was exactly twice the width....so by cutting it in half lengthwise I could make both pillows.

I wrapped the throw around with an overlap and cut that to length.
I was able to have the fringe be the bottom of the wrap.
Then I turned it wrong side out and stitched the sides.
Normally with an envelope pillow the lap is on the back.
Because I wanted the fringe to be an accent, the overlap is on the front.

Here is a tutorial for making an envelope pillow.  Home Stories A to Z Pillow Tutorial
This is a technique that is worth learning!!!!

And now for the reveal!!!



Wow....2 pillow covers for $16.99 and I still have enough of the throw left to make something else.
Any suggestions???

Have A Great Day!



No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...