Thursday, October 20, 2011

Halloween-Empty Nester Style!

Now that we are empty nesters...I don't really DO Halloween!
Back in the day....we did the whole 9 yards....spooky and fun!
But I still try to find ways to put touches of the season around the house!

I am especially loving my new owl sitting on the entryway table!

Come along for the tour!






Remember my pillow made by printing on fabric?



Well....here are 2 more examples....
I found these great images of "The Raven" and "The House of Seven Gables" and printed them on lightweight canvas...
When I took the covers off 2 old pillows that I was going to recover....had the happy discovery that the fabric underneath was perfect for the new pillows....so I just hand sewed the printed images on and here they are!

I took some books and covered them with brown wrapping paper and wrote Halloween themed titles on them....perfect literary themed decor!!

They look great with my spell books don't you think? Check out the tutorial for making a Knock off version of these.


Now for the Mantle:
It started like this....
 Then I found this print in my pile of "got to get around to framing this" pile....and actually did it!
 And there were these really bright cheap looking branches of bittersweet in the fall fake flower box...I dabbed a little brown craft paint on them and added them to the fall leaves in the vase.....They almost look real now!

 So here is the mantle now....it will look nice even after Halloween is over!







The dining room table gets a centerpiece of some old bottles on a goodwill mirror.....












I put the glowing orange salt rock on the table for some spooky lighting effects....

I frame some family photos with Halloween themes and put them all around the house....
here are a couple of my favorites...
 This photo is of my husband's second grade Halloween party....totally vintage....(Sorry John, I guess that makes you vintage too!)
This photo is from the year we grew Giant Pumpkins and had the most awesome Jack-o-Lanterns....
I have photos of the kids in Halloween costumes....and the memories make me smile!

So I guess the point of this post is that you can have a touch of the season.....without DOING Halloween....and that seems to suit my Sweetwater Style!

10 comments:

Cathy said...

Really like the things you have done to decorate for Halloween. Very original and creative ideas!

NanaDiana said...

Oh- I think you have done a wonderful job. And the memories are the best part of all, aren't they? I saved the tutorial on making those books...they are fantastic! xo Diana

Tiffany Kovaleski said...

This is more of a question, than comment.....I need your help! Do you have a place where we can ask for your advice? Or a new idea for a post?

I am having a ladies brunch at my house, there will be six of us. It is in November at 11:00. I need some ideas for a inexpensive meal and theme. I really struggle with what to serve now-a-days with all of the food allergies and found that gluten free eaters can't even share serving utensils that came into contact with gluten (bread, condiments...) do you have any recipes, guidance as far as proper etiquette of what I am expected to provide? I too am vegetarian and don't expect anyone to specifically plan their menu around me, but when they do it really is sweet and never goes unappreciated. ;)
At your mercy:
T~!

Honey at 2805 said...

What a terrific job you did on the pillows. Thanks for all of the ideas!

Thanks for linking this lovely post to Potpourri Friday. I appreciate your participation, my friend!

Unknown said...

You have some fun Halloween decor. I especially like the family photos and the pillows. Thanks for stopping by and for your kind comment on my restaurant ware plates. How cool that you have 10! Ten is much better for our family, but I will have to do with the four I have for now.

Elaine said...

I am the same way about Halloween decorating. I have a few favorite items. Love the "vintage" photo of your husband's class! I have often thought of making a collage of my kids in their costumes over the years. Thanks for sharing! I am a follower!

Debbiedoos said...

Glad to see you still have fun decorating for Halloween. I often think of our empty nester future and wonder if I will do the same. I love it, not only for the kids but for me too, so I am thinking YES. thanks for sharing with my newbie party.

erika @ life unfluffed said...

I love your decorations! They are way cute. I need to start collecting things. You've inspired me!

Thanks for linking up!

Just Jaime said...

Great touches! We don't have kids yet, so we don't do it up for Halloween either!

Anonymous said...

..cool decoration for halloween..

*_* maica *_* Buy and Sell

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...