Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Trick for Making Pumpkins Last!

This is going to have to be a really short post.
My week is absolutely crazy....
2 nights at school for conferences...
1 night at school for a fun author visit....
1 night for a theater outing to see "Much Ado About Nothing"
Don't you feel sorry for me?  NOT!

Anyway....I thought I would share a quick tip for keeping your "real" pumpkins and gourds from spoiling!
I love to buy those little gourds that look like pumpkins....they are great at Halloween....and make great additions to Thanksgiving vignettes too.
Here is the simple solution for making them last!


No....I don't "bob for pumpkins" in my sink!
I use Chlorine Bleach to make sure there is no dirt or other junk that will make them rot!

If you wash them well before putting them on display they will last indefinitely....

Here is a picture of the big white "pumpkin" I got from my Sister-in-law this weekend....
I washed it well...and now it is the centerpiece on the table in the library at school surrounded by all those Halloween Books I love!.....at least until the kids check them all out!


This only works if you keep them indoors and they don't freeze...

Try it and enjoy!

Check Out these related posts!

Create Your Own....Water Color Art with a fun iPad app!
http://sweetwaterstyle.blogspot.com/2014/09/fall-photo-art-project.html

Make Your own print for a custom pillow using your computer and fabric!
http://sweetwaterstyle.blogspot.com/2011/09/computer-print-on-fabric-for-pillow.html





If you have a moment take time to visit these Link Parties:

Link Parties
Share It One More Time

11 comments:

Rona Gregory said...

Oh wow thank you for sharing this....I got some and they started to get little brown spots and look a bit yukky...will buy some more quick and try this hopefully then they will at least make it to Halloween LOL!

Holly Lefevre said...

Great tip! I lovemy pumpkins and would probably have them out all year if I could!

Ann @ makethebestofthings said...

So glad you posted this. So simple yet why didn't I think of that? I always hated the way pumpkins and gourds rot so quickly, this is a great tip!

Whit said...

What a good tip! Thank you for sharing this. Thank you so much sharing and for linking up to our party Show and Share this week! Come on back this Wednesday to link up your current projects.

A mommy's life...with a touch of YELLOW
tyandwhitneyulrich.blogspot.com

Michelle Paige said...

Thanks for the comment on michellepaige.blogspot.com, I appreciate you taking the time to stop by. I totally need to give all my pumpkins a bleach bath! Thanks for this tip! PS--I like your spooky books, too.

Unknown said...

Ohhhhhh. Well, this seems like one of those things I should have realized on my own. :) Thanks for the tip!

I'd love for you to link up to my pumpkin party:

"Pumpkinspiration Party!

Jenny @ Simcoe Street said...

Great tip!

Jenny
www.simcoestreet.blogspot.com

Benita said...

How much bleach did you use in the water ? I'm glad my friend sent this link to me, I've already lost one cute lil pumpkin :( !!

Jane@Cottage at the Crossroads said...

Hello! I'm a retired teacher and we grew some white pumpkins this year. I made sure to give them a wash with bleach before I used them in decorating! I haven't done the same for some of the minis that I have so thanks for the reminder!

Beatrice Lawson said...

What about plain washing them with dish detergent? I no longer use chlorine bleach in our home... Switched to xylene bleach for laundry, guess I could try that!

Vintage Paint and more... said...

What a great tip to know - I wondered how to give them longevity. Thank you for sharing at Share It One More Time. Cathy

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...