Monday, January 2, 2012

What I Used Up #3-In the Kitchen!

Happy New Year!
Most of the Holiday Decorations are back in the closet!
It feels good to have clean, uncluttered surfaces!
It seems like we have been entertaining ever since Thanksgiving!
Maybe it seems that way because.... we HAVE!

The shelves, refrigerator and freezer are filled with all the leftovers from all those parties.
Add to that the hostess and "teacher" gifts.....and we have lots to USE UP in the kitchen!
That brings me to "WHAT I USED UP #3".....and a recipe for the best darn garlic toast EVER!



It is hard to believe, but Thanksgiving was only 40 days ago?

 We served a traditional dinner....got rave reviews....EXCEPT for the dinner rolls!

They were more than a little stale.....which is probably why there were still more than a dozen in the freezer!
Why did I keep them?




Why....to make garlic toast!
I love garlic toast!  Murray's restaurant in downtown Minneapolis is known for it's steaks....but it is the garlic toast that makes my mouth water.  Crunchy, but not too crunchy and bursting with flavors of garlic and butter.....yummm!
 You used to be able to buy these at Byerly's and Lunds, but no longer!  The ones they sell now are way to crunchy and not nearly buttery enough.....
So I had to learn to make them myself....






The recipe is simple....remember.....I hardly ever cook....so simple is important!

1 package stale dinner rolls
1 Cup of Real Butter melted
1 TBSP Garlic Salt (or more if you wish)


 


Slice the rolls crosswise.









 

Melt the butter and stir in the garlic salt.

















 



Pour the butter over the slices.









 


Arrange on 2 pans and place on 2 racks in a preheated 375 degree oven.
Bake for 5 minutes.
Rotate the pans from upper and lower racks
Bake 5 more minutes
Turn slices over and rotate pans again
Check after 5 more minutes to see if they are golden and crispy!





Cool and Store in a Zip Lock Bag and hide them in the freezer behind lots of stuff so they don't disappear in one day!

These are great as Crostini or crumbled up as croutons in Soups and Salads!
Again.....Yummm!

I am getting a little worried about this "What I Used Up" deal.....
When I cleaned a cupboard this morning I found all of this stuff that needs to be used up!

I better get started!



Link Parties

Polly Want A Crafter
Polish The Stars 
A Marvelous Mess 
Alderberry Hill 
Project Queen 
The Creative Itch 
The New Nostalgia 
Hope Studios

4 comments:

NanaDiana said...

Those look yummy! There used to be a place here that served something very similar. They closed after 50 years of business. We STILL talk about their garlic croutons! lol xo Diana

Janel from NellieBellie said...

yummy yummy...garlic bread is the best!

aabloomgren said...

I would like to know how you are going to creatively "use" up X-mas peeps! That might be beyond Sweetwater Style.

Paulette said...

I am going to make garlic bread tonight. Thanks♥

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...