Friday, August 3, 2012

No More Droopy Hydrangeas

I absolutely LOVE Hydrangeas!!!


Hydrangeas are the showy, temperamental and unpredictable.  
They are beautiful in the garden and even more beautiful in flower arrangements.
The Sweetwater Garden has several Hydrangea plants....but alas this year they just don't seem to be blooming!
There are a total of about 8 blooms on ALL the plants....go figure!
Other People's Hydrangeas....Probably NOT Zone 4!!!

Oh WOW....Do these make me drool!!!
 I guess I could look at pictures of other people's Hydrangea bushes on the internet....but that really doesn't do it for me!

Maybe I will have to go to the Farmer's Market to get my fix this year!!!!  OMG spending money on flowers in the summer might just be TOO much....
BUT....
I absolutely LOVE Hydrangeas!!!

Last summer, I posted about how to make these pretties behave when I bring them inside. It is all about the conditioning! It is easy and works almost every time!
Even though I don't have blooms from my garden.....maybe YOU do....so read on to learn the trick!

Yeah, I know that if you wait until the Hydrangea blooms on the plant get to the papery stage, they can be cut, plopped in a vase without water and will dry without wilting.





 That  would require patience-not something that I am well known for.



 Besides....if you cut the blooms off the Minnesota hardy "Endless Summer" it will rebloom through the Fall.
 


After doing my research, I discovered this process for conditioning Hydrangeas for arrangements.





  • Take a bucket of water with you to the garden and put the stems into it as you cut....YES even if it is only 10 steps outside!
  • Get a really tall vase or bucket and fill it with room temp water....fill it to the top!

  • Turn the gas burner on your stove to high....(or light a candle with a BIG flame)
  • One stem at a time-make a new diagonal cut with a sharp knife and stick the end in the flame.  Burn the end until the milky stuff is sealed in by the singed end of the stem.

Put each stem into the warm water....right up to the blossom....leaves under water.
  • Cover the flower heads with soaking paper towels.  
  •  Go away and leave them alone for at least 6 hours.  If you are more patient than I am, after 6 hours, wet the paper towels again and leave them another 6 hours.
  • Uncover the flowers and arrange....DO NOT recut the stems (this means I probably should have told you to cut the stems the right length for your arrangement the first time....sorry)
  • Sit back-look at your arrangement and for 5 minutes pretend you are a lady of leisure!


  • This post from Habitually Chic has some Hydrangea pictures to drool over. 
  •  If you don't like my method, you can read about a couple of other conditioning methods Prolonging Hydrangea Blooms and let me know if they work.
  • Here is a site that details my method more completely (I envy people who write good step-by-step instructions....Hydrangea Mania
After looking at last year's arrangement....I am tempted to cut the measley 7 blooms off my plants....but I love the teensy bit of color that they have in the garden!

SO....I KNOW I am off to the Farmer's Market soon to buy some....I'm worth it....RIGHT???

Have a BLOOMIN' Great Day!

Link Parties
Craftionary  Bowdabra  
Create and Inspire  Six Sister's Stuff A Pinch Of Joy Twigg Studios I Heart Naptime 
A Sunny Simple Life  My Favorite Things Sumo's Sweet Stuff  Making the World Cuter
Blackberry Vine  Sugar Bee Crafts    DYI Dreamer  Savvy Southern Style Southern Lovely
Katherine's Corner   Delightful Order Serenity You    
A Little Inspiration    

21 comments:

NanaDiana said...

Oh- I would call that a tutorial- I did NOT know that-about searing the ends and the wet paper towels. Amazing! I love hydrangeas, too. xo Diana

Lynn Wood said...

I just love hydrangeas too but they sure don't love me back. I'll be off to the market with you to buy some. Thanks for the great tips on making them last.

Kathleen said...

This wasn't a great hydrangea year, so many of them fried in the heat. The ones in the shade did well.
I never tried the flame method.
Do you have Pee Gees? I used them in my post.

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

Hydrangeas are my favorite flower...and I learn something new every day! WOW!

The Boston Lady said...

I love hydrangeas too and my bush has had lousy blooms this year as well. Usually I get a lot, but this year I think it is taking a break. I never would have known about that method, so I am glad to have read about it here. Ann

Unknown said...

I'm shanaring this with my Mom. I don't have any hydrangeas yet, but I'm putting together a garden in my front yard. They are very pretty. Thank you for sharing on my Our Favor Things Link Party

RuthSMac. said...

Thanks for this "tutorial". I like hydrangeas, and you never know when you're going to need and info like this.

Ruth.

cathy@my1929charmer said...

I am like you, I love Hydrangeas. Every time I cut them they droop. I will be trying out this tips, so my hydrangeas can look good, great tips. Great of you to share! Hoping you'll share these creative tips with Sunday’s Best going on now. Many would be interested in how to keep their hydrangeas from dropping!

Michele M./ Finch Rest said...

WOW. I never knew this and it is so good to have learned!

Thank you SO MUCH for sharing!!!!

Crafts a la Mode said...

I love hydrangeas and I have a huge bush covered with gorgeous flowers. My niece dipped the ends of the hydrangea stems in something and that did the same thing...kept them from drooping. Thanks for the tip. Linda

Stephanie said...

Year after year I have had the most beautiful blossoms until now. I only have one bloom on my bush and I have been going crazy trying to figure out the problem. It is comforting to know I am not the only one with the problem. I'm going to save your tips and hopefully next year I can use them.

Katherines Corner said...

I love them too. Great tip I hope you will share it at the hop tomorrow xo

Tami Von Zalez said...

One of my fav plants - I have 4 of them but I never attempt to use them in cut flower arrangements.

Popped in from Wow Us Wednesday.

thriftshopcommando.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

Thanks for all of that great info. I am going to try this. I love the look and smell of these flowers. I am very fond of the blue/purple ones.
New follower here from the Friday Blog Hop!
http://lovejoyjunction.blogspot.com/

popcosmo said...

Hopped over from Katherine's and glad I did! I had no idea and Hydrangeas are my absolute favorite! Thank you!

Danielle S said...

Fascinating! I am going to remember this. Hopping over from Katherine's.

Unknown said...

Oh my gosh... LOVE IT!

Thanks for sharing your tip..


XO Angie from Little Inspiration

Charlene@APinchofJoy said...

Too hot here for hydrangeas this year -- pinning this and hoping for next year! Great idea. Thanks for sharing on Busy Monday!

Christine said...

WOW Mary.. what a great tip!!!

Thanks so much for sharing this at The DIY Dreamer.. From Dream To Reality!

Shirley said...

I will have to try this method. I have some massive Annabelle flowers I'd love to cut to enjoy indoors. Thanks.

florists daughter said...

I have a huge hydrangea bush but very few blooms and the blooms I do have are drooping while still on the bush. It is an Endless Summer so it does bloom on old wood but I must be doing something wrong. Oh and it's covered with all types of bees.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...