Saturday, October 27, 2012

Transforming a Goodwill Wreath!

I haven't done a post about shopping at Bonne Volanté (AKA Goodwill) for a while...I guess it is time!

I made a quick trip to my favorite GW last week (hey...I only stayed for 45 minutes....so that counts as quick....for me)






I needed a couple of frames....one for the thrifty Halloween Graveyard art project....
Score!!!  $2   











I also bought this "semi-tacky" wreath for $3.99!


You are probably thinking...."Why would anyone buy that!!!???"

I had a plan....just you wait!
First I want to tell you about one of my favorite go to tools....
It looks like this.....
I have had mine for years and always just called it that red handled cutter!

























When I started to write this post, I figured I better know what the real name of the tool was!
Who better to ask than Mr. S....and of course he knew!
Electrician's call this a "DIKE" or short for "diagonal wire cutter"....who knew?
Mine is a Klein D228-8....so there!
It is about 20 bucks at Amazon....is it worth it?
You bet!


This cutter makes short work of cutting the plastic covered wires on artificial flowers and leaves!  Before I started using this.....or when I am too lazy to walk downstairs and get it out of the drawer....I used to try cutting stems with kitchen shears....yikes...what a lot of hard work...this little cutter is a simple snip and you are done!!!

On to the transformation of the "tacky wreath"...



I wanted to use this basket because the copper color would look nice with the metallic pumpkins.... but I needed to make a liner to hide the dry floral foam base....


Good old burlap to the rescue!  It has a nice autumnal feel and with a little unraveling on the edges....it was the perfect solution!

I took the wreath apart and cut the stems with my cutter....and here is the result!

Not bad for $4!
AND
I used up some burlap and a basket from the "stash"!!!

Wishing you good luck on YOUR thrifting adventures!







10 comments:

Danni Baird @ Silo Hill Farm said...

Oh nice! Much better after!

marty (A Stroll Thru Life) said...

Amazing. Great idea. Hugs, Marty

Cheapchick said...

Waaay better - excellent reuse - I love the cemetary picture by the way

Cathy said...

Lovely!

Lindsey@If I had a million hours... said...

I'm always bringing home "hideous" stuff for re-purposing. Our GW is nice but Saver's is even better because of discounts on Mondays!! Really like the "After" - great job:)

NanaDiana said...

Hi Mary- I am back from my blogging break- You found some beauty in something that was NOT so beautiful. It looks great. I have one of those cutter "thingies", too!;>) xo Diana

Karri Reiser said...

Great job, you would never know what it was before. Thanks for sharing at my Our Favorite Things Link Party.

Kathy A Delightsome Life said...

Not bad at all! Great tool too!
Kathy

Susie @Bowdabra said...

Mary we love your Goodwill craft! Congrats! Your post was our #1 most clicked post in the Crafty Showcase last week. We are featuring you on our blog, Facebook, Twitter & Pinterest today.

Here is your feature http://bowdabrablog.com/2012/11/02/feature-friday-bowdabra-top-crafty-showcase-picks-21/#

Stop back over on Saturday and share more of your awesome ideas!

Have a great weekend!
susie at Bowdabra

Pinkie for Pink said...

This looks awesome! So pretty! I am visiting from the Monday Mingle and I am a follower of yours now. Would love if you could come visit and follow me.

Thanks!
Nichole
www.pinkieforpink.com