Sunday, July 7, 2013

A Fairy Garden House From A Stump!

You have probably already seen the Fairy Garden in the old birdbath....but if you haven't...

Well I was at Tonkadale Nursery the other day....and I was lusting after the Fairy Houses....
and
I think I have the perfect spot along the front entry walk for a Fairy Garden.
Maybe I would splurge and actually by a Fairy House....
Well...that's what I thought until I saw the prices...

Where else would you go to shop for a fairy house than eFairies.com?
Appropriately named "Mary's Cottage"....this one was only $227

Even cuter,,,,this one for a mere $314


So pretty obviously....that wouldn't be happening at Sweetwater!!!

I wanted cute....
I wanted rustic...
I wanted CHEAP....

What could be cheaper than an old tree stump....



We have plenty of those...



I found the perfect one....

It even has a little moss growing on it...

And a little root extension....

I was ready to get started...



The stump was perfect....it was the darn roof that was the problem!!


I had an old cocoa mat....and thought that would work.....


Mr. S:  "that looks like a really bad toupee!"


Me: "Well. do you have a better idea?"



Mr. S.: "Can this wait until later?  I just got home!"





a little later......

Mr. S: "Okay...how big does this thing need to be? What angle do you want for the roof?  Have you measured the stump?  I can cut some of those wood blinds and you can attach them like shingles"

Me: "Well....no....I thought I could just eyeball it."

Mr. S:  "sigh.....I'll go get the tape measure."




Goody Goody....it was time to use the power tools...

Mr. S ran the saw....
Mr. S ran the tape measure...
Mr. S did the math









I did the power
stapling...






I love me my power stapler/nailer!









It worked perfectly....










 Except......The roof was really, really UGLY!



NOT what I had in mind...

But they do say....Love is patient...Love is kind...

 Mr. S just shrugged his shoulders....put the tools away...and went to get a beer!!

I was NOT giving up on this thing..... but it could wait until the next day....so I went to get a glass of wine!




Maybe the wine was inspirational....




The solution was in the wood pile.....











I could just attach some pieces of bark to a piece of log that was split to have a peak...


Like a roof!

Well...that plan was working great...until I melted my glue gun....arghhhh....
I went to the store the next day and got a new glue gun....


 The roof looks very rustic...just like I wanted....
The doors and windows....thank Mr. S for that....
he knew there were windows in the old box of LEGOS...perfect after a coat of spray paint!


The side door is made from the piece of log with the moss growing on it....
I have been having fun adding little bits of moss and some plants.  
I even found a tiny "pine tree" seedling growing in the rocks by the woodpile.

Anyway:

Me: "Isn't this the cutest fairy garden?" 
Mr. S: "Well, I guess, if you like Fairy Gardens...."


Have A Great Day!








26 comments:

pattybaby said...

I think it IS the cutest fairy garden! Well done, Mary!

sweetbriardreams said...

That is the most amazing fairy house I have ever seen! You both have so much imagination! Chel x

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

FannnnTASTic!!

Mary Anne Komar said...

Cute! Cuter! Cutest! I think that the fairies built it at night while you were sleeping, it looks very old and really real!

NanaDiana said...

What do men know anyway? lol I think it is one of the cutest ones I have seen. It is so different from the regular little fairy houses! I just LOVE it! Great job- xo Diana

Anonymous said...

Love it - thanks for the idea for an old birdbath!

Unknown said...

following your link from Mom's Monday Mingle.

I love it! It's adorable. I've never seen a fairy house before. Love the idea!

Gloriously Made said...

You are SO creative!! You did a fantastic job on your fairy house. I'm impressed. :) I'm your newest bloglovin and twitter follower and would love a follow back at gloriouslymade.blogspot.com.
Have a great day!
Deanna

Anonymous said...

So cute, cool, and fun!

Navy Wifey Peters @ Submarine Sunday Link Party

stevebethere said...

That is brilliant and yes it is the cutest fairy garden :-)

Have a fairytastic week

Diana Mancuso said...

Those houses are so adorable but incredibly expensive expensive. I think yours turned out great!

Diana @ Toronto Teacher Mom

Wayne W Smith said...

Now that is some real creativity.

Anonymous said...

That is so cool!!! I love it and it's the first time I have seen one. Thanks for sharing.

We invite you to come and share via our hop: http://www.craftyspices.com/hops/wwhop
Happy Wordless Wednesday!

Bridgit's Bell said...

Love fairy houses!

Heather said...

Cutest little fairy house ever--much more so than the fnacy expensive store-bought ones. You did good! My Wordless Wednesday

MyBright Firefly said...

Beautiful! Love your house! Very nice blog! Found you through Monday Mingle and following you! Laura, http://camillaandroman.blogspot.com/

Two Cottages And Tea said...

Oh how cute! Your hubby sounds like mine! Love fairy houses!
Nancy

Anonymous said...

I just love your idea with the tree stump. What kids wouldn't spend hours making and playing with the fairy houses. This is just adorable. Thank you for sharing with the Clever Chicks Blog Hop this week; I hope you’ll join us again!
















Cheers,
Kathy Shea Mormino

The Chicken Chick

http://www.The-Chicken-Chick.com

JoAnne Potter said...

Sending this to my daughter-in-law. This is perfect for her. Thanks.

Kim~madeinaday said...

Such a cute idea! You should join Hometalk (if you haven't already) and post this! It should bring you tons of traffic! Thanks for linking up on Made in a Day!
Kim

The Cottage Market {Andrea} ♥ said...

Wow...Color me impressed with this magical whimsical creation! APPLAUSE!!!! : ) Hugs...TFS!

Christina Paul said...

This is just adorable! such a clever use of a tree stump! and your dialogue with Mr. S was a riot!

madcapfrenzy said...

What an adorable idea! So cute!
Morgaine @ Madcap Frenzy
P.S. I would love if you would link up any of your awesome posts at my July Totally Tuesday Link Party: http://madcapfrenzy.blogspot.com/2013/07/july-totally-tuesday-link-party.html
Hugs!

Rose :: Fine Craft Guild said...

i love it. all it needs is a ground creeper with tiny little pink or white flowers.. what do you think?

Gardening with Juanita said...

I haven't visit in a while. I love this Fairy house better than the expensive you are a wonder.

Anonymous said...

I found a log and was looking for inspiration when I found your site. Now I have a direction and plenty of ideas!
Thanks

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...