Sunday, July 7, 2013

A Fairy Garden House From A Stump!

You have probably already seen the Fairy Garden in the old birdbath....but if you haven't...

Well I was at Tonkadale Nursery the other day....and I was lusting after the Fairy Houses....
and
I think I have the perfect spot along the front entry walk for a Fairy Garden.
Maybe I would splurge and actually by a Fairy House....
Well...that's what I thought until I saw the prices...

Where else would you go to shop for a fairy house than eFairies.com?
Appropriately named "Mary's Cottage"....this one was only $227

Even cuter,,,,this one for a mere $314


So pretty obviously....that wouldn't be happening at Sweetwater!!!

I wanted cute....
I wanted rustic...
I wanted CHEAP....

What could be cheaper than an old tree stump....



We have plenty of those...



I found the perfect one....

It even has a little moss growing on it...

And a little root extension....

I was ready to get started...



The stump was perfect....it was the darn roof that was the problem!!


I had an old cocoa mat....and thought that would work.....


Mr. S:  "that looks like a really bad toupee!"


Me: "Well. do you have a better idea?"



Mr. S.: "Can this wait until later?  I just got home!"





a little later......

Mr. S: "Okay...how big does this thing need to be? What angle do you want for the roof?  Have you measured the stump?  I can cut some of those wood blinds and you can attach them like shingles"

Me: "Well....no....I thought I could just eyeball it."

Mr. S:  "sigh.....I'll go get the tape measure."




Goody Goody....it was time to use the power tools...

Mr. S ran the saw....
Mr. S ran the tape measure...
Mr. S did the math









I did the power
stapling...






I love me my power stapler/nailer!









It worked perfectly....










 Except......The roof was really, really UGLY!



NOT what I had in mind...

But they do say....Love is patient...Love is kind...

 Mr. S just shrugged his shoulders....put the tools away...and went to get a beer!!

I was NOT giving up on this thing..... but it could wait until the next day....so I went to get a glass of wine!




Maybe the wine was inspirational....




The solution was in the wood pile.....











I could just attach some pieces of bark to a piece of log that was split to have a peak...


Like a roof!

Well...that plan was working great...until I melted my glue gun....arghhhh....
I went to the store the next day and got a new glue gun....


 The roof looks very rustic...just like I wanted....
The doors and windows....thank Mr. S for that....
he knew there were windows in the old box of LEGOS...perfect after a coat of spray paint!


The side door is made from the piece of log with the moss growing on it....
I have been having fun adding little bits of moss and some plants.  
I even found a tiny "pine tree" seedling growing in the rocks by the woodpile.

Anyway:

Me: "Isn't this the cutest fairy garden?" 
Mr. S: "Well, I guess, if you like Fairy Gardens...."


Have A Great Day!








Post a Comment