Saturday, January 7, 2012

Use What I've Got Challenge #4- Goodwill Silver

 
What I've Got!

a lot of old silver plate that I have collected from thrift stores!
It lives on the shelves in our dining room....tarnishing away!

It seems that a lot of people get rid of silver plate....probably because it needs polishing!
My suggestion to you....
When you see it.....
Buy it!

Because I have it....
I use it.....
Over and Over and Over....Come see!




I found this silver loving cup at GW about 10 years ago....it took a whole bunch of polishing to get it shiny again....but it was worth it!

Then I scored another one a couple of years later....polished it up and giggled when I saw this engraving appear....
Mr. and Mrs. Club Champions
Edina Country Club
Do you think anyone will believe that Mr. S and I actually won this....?





Today....
the 2 loving cups are filled with  greens and white flowers...
waiting to go on the tables at the QuinceaƱera celebration for a beautiful young lady!
They will get the addition of a few branches of silver eucalyptus....
A very expensive look for $20 worth of grocery store flowers!



This little trip down memory lane is proof of how often these 2 Loving Cups have earned their keep!


 
The Christmas Poinsettias have a little more style....

The loving cup lifts them up...and protects the table when it gets watered!










Filled with hydrangeas.......

The picture tells the story!

















 Filled with Peonies from our garden at our Daughter's wedding!


Priceless!








The arrangement on the cake table at Tonia's wedding this summer.....the silver trays are there waiting for the cupcakes....lot's prettier (and cheaper) than the expensive cupcake tower from the caterer!




I think using my silver plate collection is a perfect example of the "Use What I've Got" philosophy!


  • I never pay more than a few dollars for any item.....
  • I don't worry about lending items to friends for their events.....(and I have never lost a single tray or vase)
  • Silver doesn't break....so you never have to worry when you haul it from place to place.
  • I never have to worry about arranging a buffet table....it looks coordinated because it is all silver!
  • It's amazing how food purchased from CostCo looks homemade when it is on a silver tray!
By the looks of this....my real challenge will be to "Use what I already have" and leave the new bargains on the shelf at GW.....but that probably ISN'T going to happen.....unless YOU get there first!



Linky Parties
The Space Between
The Artsy Girl Connection
Six Sister's Stuff
While He Was Napping 
Be Different Act Normal 
Homemaker In Heels 
I Heart Naptime 
Nifty Thrifty Things 
Flamingo Toes
Sisters of the Wild West
Petite Hermine 
My 1929 Charmer
Cherished Treasures
Alderberry Hill

31 comments:

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Oh I have a champagne bucket too and like you, I love using it for everything. They make the best floral containers ever. All of your silver is wonderful. I have quite a lot that I found at GW also. Love it. Great post. Hugs, Marty

Eclectically Vintage said...

I have the same trophy - from a country club event . Found it at an estate sale and use it for everything. It even topped my ladder Christmas tree ! I love my silver tarnished and keep it that way!
Kelly

Cottage and Broome said...

Your set of silver was beautiful!! Some of my silver finds I polish but many I leave as it because I like the patina, Laura

Kathleen said...

I still have a lot of it, and you are so right, it is beautiful! I would love to find a container like that! I have to keep my eyes open for one.
Tell me, what is your favorite polish? a few years ago I did a survey on my blog.
I like it nice and shiny too!

Tammy at Tammy Loves Dishes said...

Those trophy cups are gorgeous! I often pick up silver pieces, too, if they are a really good price. I'm trying to collect enough trays to use as chargers; just a few more and I think I'll be satisfied.

I'm curious as is Kathleen about what your favorite polish is.

LifeLessOrdinary said...

Your silver is beautiful. What a great thing to collect!

HoneySage said...

How practical! I could just stack and stack and not have to worry about chips. I don't have a lot of display space (taken up by guitars), but I do love shiny stuff. I think I have found my new obsession! Thanks for sharing!

frugal-interior-design said...

It's amazing what you can find at Good Will and the elaborate, expensive look that can be achieved while being thrifty. I love your silver collection. I have a similar "addiction" (is it o.k. to call it that?) but with crystal.

Elisa at home sweet nest said...

I have a very similiar collection - some of the pieces are a real mystery as I don't even know what the are/were. But I still can't leave them there. Good for you for using yours so beautifully!

Unknown said...

I just started to collect silver too, and the first 2 reasons is it will never break ( so it is for lifetime) second like you said put anything in it and it will look fancy ;)
love your collection
Rasha@ mychampagnetaste

NanaDiana said...

I'm with you- I was looking at my silver today as I packed away Christmas and thought that I really need to get it polished up and start using it. We have a lot of family pieces. xo Diana

Nann said...

What a fun post. Your picture from 1929 charmer led me here. So glad I came. I have a BUNCH of silverplate in a storage bin downstairs. Now I want to bring it out and polish it and put it out. YOU'VE inspired me! And yours looks so beautiful. You had a lot of great thoughts in your post. Its renewal time for me. I'm now following you!

Nann

Jennifer said...

Those loving cups are so sweet and classic. I just love them! you really scored! Would you link up to my party going on??

http://daysofchalkandchocolate.blogspot.com/2012/01/latest-and-greatest-13.html

Jill said...

Your silver collection is amazing! Those vases look beautiful with the flowers in too!

Thanks for linking to a Round Tuit!
Hope you have a fabulous week!
Jill @ Creating my way to Success
http://www.jembellish.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

I'm kicking myself because I just passed up on some Goodwill silver the other day. Rats. I will keep my eyes open now. Just lovely!

Pam Kessler said...

I love thrifted silver also. Actually, I'm sort of addicted to it! I use mine a lot for Christmas decorating.

Babs said...

Isn't it great to find nice silver pieces at thrift stores? I have quite a bit of silver plate too. Would you believe I found three sterling trays at GW for $1.51 each? I nearly fell over and put them in my basket so fast! I use my pieces a lot too. Thanks for sharing yours. Visiting from Coastal Charm.
Babs

cathy@my1929charmer said...

I have very few silver plated pieces, see them often in thrift stores, but have never brought before. but I sure will if I seen any now. Love the cup trophy's so pretty. Thanks for inspiring me to buy them. You've got a great collection. Thanks so much for sharing silver creativeness with Sunday's Best!

Unknown said...

I love your silver pieces!!! I'd love to have you link it to my party that just started! Overflowing with Creativity!!! Thanks LOTS!

XO, Aimee

Sweetwater Style said...

Thanks for all the wonderful comments...I am working on a post about polishing it...I found some fun homemade polishes that I want to try!

Unknown said...

Wow some homemade polishes...that would be SO GREAT!!! You know I love your silver pieces LOTS! I love your whole blog and am excited to be your newest follower!!!

XO, Aimee

Six Sisters said...

So creative and cute! Thank you for linking up to Strut Your Stuff Saturday. We would love to have you come back next Saturday and share more of your incredible ideas. -The Sisters

Holly @ Bella Nest said...

Wow! Your silver cups and trays are beautiful! I'm a huge GW fan myself, so I could definitely relate to this post! I'm your newest fan! Please stop by bellanest.blogspot.com if you get a chance. =)

Eclectically Vintage said...

You had me at silver!! I too collect thrift shop silver-plate but I like them tarnished! I have the same giving cup! Thanks for linking up to our challenge! Following you.
Kelly

Carlene @ Organized Clutter said...

Beautiful Mary. You have a great aaortment of trays too!

very merry vintage style said...

Great collection! You have really polished it up beautifully. It looks fabulous!
Mary

Maureen Wyatt said...

I'm always picking up silver at thrift stores and have even scored a few pieces of sterling. You sound like a girl after my own heart and I'm following you now! ~ Maureen

Randi~Dukes and Duchesses said...

I love the look of silver, even tarnished silver - I think it has a neat vintage-y look. I think it's great that you really use your silver!

Charlene@APinchofJoy said...

I belong to the Silver Rescue Society too! lol! Though I've not found such a spectacular piece as the loving cups. I would love it if you would consider linking to Busy Monday at A Pinch of Joy, a Sunday through Thursday link party for ideas that make life easier, better and more fun!

Unknown said...

Beautiful ways to use items that would normally take up space & dust.
~Amy @ Permanent Kisses

Unknown said...

awesome finds ill be on the look out for some now too lol

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...