Friday, March 2, 2012

Clever Copper Plant Stakes

I heard on the news that yesterday was the first day of "meteorlogical spring"!
Yeah Right!
This is what it looked like on OUR deck yesterday!
Even so....I am dreaming of summer!
Even weeding and mosquitoes don't sound bad to me!
If you live in a warmer climate you are doing more than dreaming about your garden....
If you live in the "wintery zone" you probably should be more than dreaming....and actually getting ready... 
Anyway...
I thought I would share the nifty copper plant stakes that Mr. S. has "invented" for our garden!
I would say they are pretty ingenious!  (but what would you expect from Mr. S?)

Pin It


YOU NEED:

 1/2 inch copper pipe

A copper Tee joint

and....somebody who knows how to solder!

that could be you but in my case it is Mr. S.

He Loves to use that little propane torch!

Here is a link to a "How to Solder Copper Pipe"







You can cut the pipe any length you want or need.

 Mr. S. put the Tee joint on the top of the pipe for safety reasons....so that the open sharp end of the pipe would be covered!







Then we discovered that the Tee makes it easier to push the pipe into the ground.....
AND
even better....it keeps the string or raffia you are using to tie onto the plants from sliding down the stake.





We made these stakes at least 10 years ago and they are still good as new....


 I love the patina on copper as it ages.
Pin It





The stake and the raffia actually enhance the look of the plant!


These stakes can do heavy duty work.....even supporting these big sunflowers!




I guess if you can't actually garden...you can read about it!



I did some consulting with Mr. S. and he reminded me that copper is super expensive right now.....and Sweetwater Style is supposed to be about being thrifty!

Home Depot  is selling 10 feet of 1/2 copper pipe for $10.79 and a 1/2 inch pressure T for $.97.

It would cost you about $4 for each stake...but remember....ours are still going strong after 10 years!


I asked Mr. S. if you could do the same thing with white PVC pipe....for about $1 a stake....but alas he says that "it would bend like a wet noodle and rot from the sun"....so I guess not!
Maybe one of you clever readers has a suggestion for a less expensive material!!!

For us....we have a bunch of these....and we will have them a long time....unless some of those "copper scrap thieves" discover them!


Oh....and here is another good reason to learn to use the propane torch....
 Here at Sweetwater Style.....
we don't mess with those fancy little butane torches from Williams Sonoma 
to burn the sugar on our creme brule!


Have a great weekend.....
I hope I have inspired you to dream of summer.....or at least eat some creme brule for dessert!





10 comments:

aabloomgren said...

Hey Mom, I was lazy when I made my copper stakes and didn't bother to solder. I know it wasn't "Mr. S Style", but it worked. I just stuck the copper T on top of the stake. It's a snug enough fit, they haven't fallen off and would actually be pretty difficult to get off.

Amy of While Wearing Heels said...

Your personality comes alive in your posts! You left me dreaming of summer days too. I am your newest follower (thanks to blog hop till you drop). I would be flattered if you stopped over and followed me back @ whilewearingheels.blogspot.com Thanks!

Sweetwater Style said...

Hey Sweetwater Daughter! We won't tell your dad you took a shortcut...and the rest of my readers will appreciate the fact that you can do this without soldering!!!

NanaDiana said...

Hi Mary- I wonder if you couldn't use gavalnized pipe instead...and then spray it with copper paint if you wanted? Those are really great! xo Diana

Carol, The Answer Is Chocolate said...

Love this idea. My FIL is a busy gardener and these would make a perfect gift for him. Thanks for sharing!!

Honey at 2805 said...

Thanks for the tips! Thank you for sharing at Potpourri Friday! I appreciate your participation!

labbie1 said...

just bounced over from Handy Man, Crafty Woman and those stakes are great! Not a bad price either--though if I can find some old pipe in the barn....

cathy@my1929charmer said...

Great idea, so need plant stakes in my garden. What's great about this is you can make any size you need. Love using the raffia too instead of that awful green wire stuff. Thanks for sharing your creative inspiration at Sunday's Best.

Unknown said...

Mary! This is brilliant! Please share it with my readers over on Frugal Days, Sustainable Ways! I think everyone would love it:) http://frugallysustainable.com/2012/03/frugal-days-sustainable-ways-18/

amy and jesse hudson said...

Fantastic information!!
Thanks for sharing this last week at Drab to Fab!!
Here's the link to this week's party. Come on back and share your fabulousness :)
http://www.amynjesse.com/2012/05/drab-to-fab-link-up-15.html

Have a great weekend.

Amy @ Sugar and Spice

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...