Sunday, March 18, 2012

Give Your Planters A Head Start!

The weather in Minnesota this week has been crazy warm!
It feels like summer!
But Alas...it is not summer and as much as I am itching to get out and plant...
any Minnesotan knows you can't do that until May...2 months away!

I wish I had a greenhouse....but I don't!
I wish I had a cold frame....but I don't!

But I DO have a trick for getting a head start on the growing season!

I just my invitation to the "Spring Jumpstart Your Garden" event at Holasek Greenhouse in nearby Chanhassen.


 This is how it works- 
  • You take your planters to the greenhouse....
  • You wander around and pick out the plants you like....buy them
  • Go over to big tables filled with great big piles of potting soil
  • You plant everything the way you want-leaving all the mess THERE!
  • Someone from the Greenhouse wheels your pots to the back of the greenhouse!
  • Then they KEEP them for you until MAY when you can put them out doors!
And ALL you pay for are the plants!!!!

Brilliant!

Picking out the plants!


The Sweetwater Daughter and I did this last year!



It was a fun outing....
A great alternative to mindless shopping or lunch!



Having the planters right there made it easy to coordinate plants and buy the right amount....
AND
If you needed more...it was easy to run back and get what you were missing!



These are the plants I picked....

Notice all the sticks in the background....those are other peoples planted pots....


It was fun to browse and see what other people had planted!
Planting my deck planter boxes this way made such a difference!




 
This is the way the planters looked when they went outside in the middle of May.
 




 


















 Just 3 weeks later, they looked like this!


And by the 4th of July they looked pretty amazing if I do say so myself!



I will take a little credit for water and fertilizing....
but
I really think the head start the planters got made the difference!

Since it is so warm out today, I am going to get my planters cleaned out and ready to go.

 Even if you don't live close enough to go to Holasek's, I bet if you did some searching there are places like this in your area.

In fact....if you know of other places that do this....add a comment with the location and details.

If you do live around here.....don't you be taking all the prettiest plants....I can't get there until April!!!

Think Spring!

12 comments:

NanaDiana said...

My Gosh, Mary! What a great idea! We don't have anything like that around here that I know of but I am going to check it out. How perfect is that!?! I think Wisconsin better get with it or we will be driving across state to MN to join you. xo Diana

Sweetwater Style said...

Well when you come over to the "right" side of the river....stop in a see me. Although I have to say I was cheering for the Wisconsin BB boys last night...BO Ryan or not LOL!

aabloomgren said...

Diana- Sweetwater Daughter here... Not sure where you are in Wisconsin, but it really might be worth you time to make the drive. With a couple of girlfriends it could be a good time. And then send your husbands back on mother's day weekend to pick up the goods! I have done it for two years..... It sure helps itchy gardening fingers keep out of the dirt until it is warm enough. I also spend less, because I do it all in one shot and don't ever buy another annual all year.

the cape on the corner said...

that sounds like a great idea, b/c i, too, am getting very itchy to plant things but it really isn't time in PA either.

creativejewishmom/sara said...

That's so very interesting and exciting! Thanks so much for sharing on Craft Schooling Sunday!

cathy@my1929charmer said...

Wow what a cool idea, wish someone out here would do that. Would be a really cool experience. Wow the transformation of your planter box over summer was amazing. Don't you wish they could last forever! Thanks so much for sharing your creative inspiration at Sunday's Best.

Debi at Life Currents said...

Thanks for visiting Thursday Favorite Things Blog Hop! I'm so excited to be co-hosting this week! What a great idea that they offer their greenhouses for people to use. I love it! Your plants look beautiful! I can't keep plants in planters alive - I forget to water them! So, yes, you deserve the credit for all that hard work!

Rose Jesky said...

That is brilliant. I don't have a place like that I can go to but I do buy my plants every mothers day. I'm glad I found you blog. I would like to invite you to come link up this Sunday to the Sunday Round Up on my blog http://www.arosiesweethome.com/
I'm a new follower if you find the time come and see if you would like to follow me too
Thanks.
Rose

Terry said...

What a great idea to plant now and have them in a climate controlled environment! Usually the flowers are just getting really big and beautiful and it gets cold. You have some gorgeous flowers! Thanks for sharing this at Sunday Blog Love!

Katherines Corner said...

Wow, brilliant is right. Oh how I wish we had something like that here. Thank you so much for sharing on the Thursday hop. Sorry it's taken me a little while to get over here. Big Hugs!

Hani said...

This is fantastic.. I never knew about it..
Thanks for linking up at friday fun party

amy and jesse hudson said...

Mary, thank you so much for sharing this. It's a great idea! I can't wait to start my spring planting.

Wanted to let you know I am featuring you in this week's party which is live right now!

http://www.amynjesse.com/2012/03/drab-to-fab-link-up-11-features.html

I'd love for you to link up again this week any DIY, outfit, or recipe that you made fab with a little creativity! Old or new is always welcome :)

Amy @ Sugar and Spice

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...