Sunday, October 23, 2016

How to Clean Cast Iron

The pots and pan cupboard here at Sweetwater is really pretty basic.
We have a set of Calphalon cookware that has been around for a lot of years.
We also have some great cast iron pans that are real work horse pieces.
These have been around for even more years.


 These pans, a frying pan, a round griddle and a reversible double burner sized griddle get a fair amount of use because of their versatility.

A well-seasoned cast-iron skillet is naturally non-stick. ...

Cast iron cookware retains heat — that is, they stay hotter —

Cast iron pans can be used on the stove top as well as in the oven.

And did you know that cooking with cast iron pots and pans can boost your iron intake.


These lovelies DO have some down sides!
They are super heavy.....and since the handles get hot....you have to be pretty careful.
They need to be seasoned well and cleaned carefully to retain the non-stick surface provided by that seasoning.

Read this article from Lodge, the premier maker of cast iron pans to learn how to season a new cast iron pan.

 We store our cast iron cookware on the shelves in the basement.  I went to get my favorite pan the other day and....
GASP...
It looked like THIS!
Mr. S told me that it was okay....and that I should just give it a coating of oil and heat it up!
BUT....UGH!
So.....off to the GOOGLE!


So Simple!
All that is necessary are just two "ingredients" and a little elbow grease 



A potato cut in half....
A hefty amount of salt.....
MAGIC!


I was amazed at how the moisture from the potato and the salt rubbed away every bit of rust.

 There was still some of the "old seasoning" left, but a little oil and some heat couldn't hurt.

A 10 minute project well worth it!
Now....I just have to take some time and do the other cast iron pieces....
Another day....Another project!

Doesn't this just make you want to go cook some eggs and bacon?

Source
Have A Wonderful Day!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...


Could someone tell me if you can use cast iron frying pans on the glass top ranges. Some people have told me "yes" and some have said "no". I have 2 old cast iron pans in my cupboard that I'd like to be using. I know they are safe for the oven.

Anonymous said...

Although I don't have a glass top range, my sister does & has used cast iron cookware on it for over 10 years with no problem. Just be careful and don't slide or twist your pans, or they'll scratch the cooktop. You can always contact Lodge Cast Iron Cookware, they would have the definitive answer.

Unknown said...

I believe they can be used on the range top it said so in the video.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...