Saturday, June 9, 2018

Illusion vs. Reality in the Sweetwater Garden!

The lyrics from the classic Joni Mitchell song "Both Sides Now" began running through my mind as I started to tell you about the garden.
 
I've looked at clouds from both sides now
From up and down and still somehow
It's cloud's illusions I recall
I really don't know clouds at all
 
Now swap out the word garden for clouds and you have the tale of the Sweetwater garden.
 
Ahh....the illusion of perfection!
From afar the peony garden is perfection!
It is so lovely and colorful.




Alas....the reality is the many many weeds at the base of these lovelies!
We have such a crop of weeds (Snow on the Mountain) that we actually put landscape cloth down to kill it!  The problem is that we can't spray too close to the peony plants and there was no way to get to all of the weeds....I am simply not that patient.
 


Illusion


Reality

 
 Illusion
Perfect Hosta


Reality
Regular visits from these creatures;
results in chewed off blossoms....
No matter how much repellent we spray....they still come!
Sometimes a deer will actually chomp off a blossom, realize it has repellent on it, and SPIT IT OUT!

A gardener needs to balance illusion/perfection with reality/imperfection.
AND......
I realize that when I pass by other people's gardens......the illusion I see is the beauty of the flowers.
I guess until I can afford to hire a gardener.... I need to look at my own garden the same way!

Have A Wonderful Day!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...